Many international students fund their American college experience with their own money, however the high price of an American education can limit or preclude some students from focusing on their education. Financial aid programs for international students are rare, but they do exist. Grants for international students are highly competitive and are only awarded to the best and brightest students. U.S. Grants for international study are often limited to students who are pursuing advanced degrees in highly specialized fields, and are less often available for undergraduate study. Grants for international students are few, but they offer greater educational opportunities to students from around the world.

Fulbright Grants for Foreign Students

The Fulbright Education Exchange Program is supported and administered by the U. S. Department of State. Fulbright offers several highly competitive merit-based U.S. grants for both American students studying abroad, and foreign students studying in the United States. Fulbright U.S. grants provide funding that covers round-trip transportation, monthly stipends for the duration of the grant, and full or partial tuition. There are several categories of Fulbright Grants, and not all Fulbright grants are available in all countries, so international students should verify on the Fulbright website.

The Fulbright Foreign Student Program provides financial assistance to international graduate students, young professionals and artists to pursue research and studies for a year or more at an accredited U.S. college or university.

The International Fulbright Science and Technology Award provides three years of funding for foreign students pursuing a PhD in an approved science or technology field.

The Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching AssistantProgram provides funding for foreign students who are pursuing a degree in teaching English as a foreign language. The program allows international students the opportunity to study English at a U.S. college or university.

AAUW Grants for International Students

The American Association of University Women offers the International Fellowship for women in 116 countries around the world. This U.S. Grant provides international women with vital funding to help them pursue a graduate degree at a college or university in the United States. Recipients are chosen on the basis of academic merit and a commitment to the advancement of women and girls in their home countries. This award can be supplemented upon return to the awardee’s home country with project grants.

Grants from Colleges and Universities

Many American colleges and universities offer grants for foreign students who wish to study at their institution. As with all campus-based financial aid, grant programs will vary greatly from college to college. There are special databases such as Cappex and U.S. College International that international students can use to match them with scholarships for which they are eligible from universities they have applied to.

International students may wish to contact the Overseas Association for College Admission Counseling for information for foreign nationals studying in the United States. The OACAC can help direct students to colleges and universities that have great financial aid programs dedicated to the needs of international students.